Sunday, August 26, 2012

3D For Games III Post

 So, after a long summer worth of silence, due partly to the fact that I took a full time job that took up more of my time than I wanted it to, I wanted to let everyone know that I am still here and this is what I've been up to...

 

Step 1: Preproduction

My first project for 3D for Games this year is to build a modular kit for some sort of structure. As always, we begin by finding reference. I am trying to decide at this point between 3 different ideas that all have the potential to be visually sophisticated, appealing, and versatile.

1) Electrical Power Station:
The reason I want to pick this is the visual complexity that can be produced by a relatively small amount of assets. The assets themselves could be easily fit into another part of the level it goes in. Example assets are:
-The tower that holds the cable(can be made of 1 modular piece to build the bulk of the tower and the cable holders, a tripod stand, and a 5 way connector piece)
-The Cables themselves
-Transformer Boxes

2) Prison Cells:
I wanted to pick this one because prison is a big part of literature and art in general, such works as the Count Of Monte Cristo, The Shawshank Redemption, and Batman: Arkham Asylum. Also, I feel like it would be an interesting texturing opportunity, as I could use gray scale images inside the RGBA channels to save texture space. Some Assets I would need:
-Cell Door
-Wall of Bars(the other half of the door)
-Toilet
-Bed
-Sink
-Wall texture(walls could be made out of BSP)

3) Water Mill
This one would also be a very interesting modeling and texturing opportunity. I also think that this one holds the most appeal and will be the most versatile of the 3. Some assets I would need are:
-The Wheel
-Wall and/or individual pieces of wood
-Window
-Roof


Step 2: Blocking Out Etc. Part 1

I ended up doing a modular kit for a prison. I think I'll like it a lot, and I'm going to go with a very run down, dilapidated old prison, my main reference being the 3rd Dirty Harry movie, where they visit Alcatraz prison.

Here are my assets for the Prison Modular kit so far:
So far I have, just blocked out, Stairs, Railing, the Bench/Table, Cell Door, Cell Bars, Toilet and Sink. I still need a computer console/control deck and a bed. I should also make the bulletproof glass

Here is the map for my two constructs, sorry its just a hand drawn for now. I plan on using additive BSP for my walls etc.

One of my plans is for a three level prison complex, with cells on just one side, the other section only has 2 stories, but it has cells on both sides, and the center of both are filled with tables for either Visitation or for Meals.

Here is a mockup for one construct in Maya


As always, more to come.

Listening: The Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty
Playing: Cut the Rope, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3, Spyro the Dragon
Watching: Mythbusters, Full Metal Alchemist

No comments:

Post a Comment