Saturday, October 15, 2011

Digital Painting Tutorials

So our latest project in Game Design has been to find a few tutorials for Digital Painting in Photoshop and learn new techniques from them. A very cool project indeed, however since I have a pretty good grip on Photoshop, I couldn't find a large tutorial online, so instead I did a few smaller ones. Here they are:

http://gallery.artofgregmartin.com/tuts_arts/making_a_planet.html

I chose this one because our project in 3D is an asteroid-based Egyptian-esque society, and we will eventually need to make some sort of skybox for the level, and this could help a lot. It was a pretty easy tutorial, only took my 15 minutes, but I learned a good technique for easily creating good looking planets in Photoshop. Also, I didn't follow the tutorial exactly, the tutorial called for downloading a texture off the website to use as the planets surface, but I chose a similar texture that comes standard in Photoshop. It was easier that way, and it still looks good, plus I'm not using anyone elses intellectual property. When I do this for the final skybox in UDK, I will most likely paint my own texture. I also added a sun and star field, with a bit of lens flare.
Here's what I came up with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQJs-Vlv4dw

 I chose this one because the eyes are the most important part of a character if you think about it, as a ton of emotion is portrayed through the eyes. I am also not very good at drawing eyes.... This tutorial maker is also amazing, as not only do you watch the whole video that shows you what brush strokes are being made when, but at the bottom they also tell you what specific tools and settings within those tools are being used. Constantly. Which is good, because if you see some other tutorials they just show you what they are painting and occasionally tell you a tool to use to get a certain effect.
Here is what I ended up with. I'm not as happy with how this one came out, but its a step in the right direction. It took me roughly 1 hour:


http://www.androidblues.com/cloudtut.html
This will definitely help me along in the way of Concept Art, having to paint clouds all the time and all. Very good tutorial, not as informative as the last one, but it was still pretty helpful, as ive never been able to paint clouds very well. Here is my attempt:
 So yeah...

3 comments:

  1. I also did Garret's cloud tutorial in addition to clay's blend tutorial. This one seemed like a good one but as I kept progressing on the cloud it seemd to me like a better way to do this is to simply paint a cloud from reference. In all you do come out with a general understand on how clouds can be generally painted, so am glad to have seen the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the planet tutorial and it was pretty good pretty simple but learned some cool tricks that I didn't know before. Also know now how to make pretty cool planets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the planet tutorial a lot. I learned things like how to make an own texture brush the easiest way possible, how to make brilliant looking planets and how to use the filters and effects of Photoshop to make an image, as opposed to approaching it a painterly way. The Emboss Layer trick is probably getting useful for many things in the future!

    ReplyDelete