Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Platformer Super-Post

As I am still in development stages of my platformer, I cannot post anything really cool about that. But, I can post a few pieces of development art for it. Here they are!

To the right is a piece displaying my new mechanics for this platformer. Its based in the realm of the One Thousand and One Arabian Nights tales, in that the main character finds Ali Baba's Cave and a Magic Lamp that gives him the powers to summon Jumping Smoke, Speed Smoke, and Exploding Smoke. The Exploding Smoke has recently been removed, as I decided that the main character doesn't have the need for it, and it can be used in a much more elegant way.

These are the mechanics in action to solve a number of Physics based puzzles. The jumping smoke will be able to launch the blocks, and the blocks(if dropped from an area high enough) will break. So the player has to be careful.


First Iteration of First Level

Second Iteration of First Level

First Iteration of Second Level


These are the many, many iterations my map has gone through. At first, I thought I would give the player two levels worth of tutorial, one to let the player grow accustomed to moving around in the world without the use of the magic lamp. The second level would give them the ability to use this lamp, and solve physics puzzles with it.

However, I decided that my levels were a little two linear, and because the main character would stumble across this cave, he would want to go exploring in it. I, therefore, in my final iteration, gave the player this ability, and added a bit of foreshadowing while I did.

As you can see in the final map, the player immediately gets to learn how to run, jump and crouch, and that some areas they cannot get to at the moment, but they will be able to once they gain the use of a new mechanic.









Final Iteration Combining the two levels, and adding exploratory areas.

























 In my programming class, we made some Exploding Barrels" and "Smashable Crates", both a staple in many video games. My Barrel was actually a barrel, because I thought it might fit into my world. Turns out, it doesn't, so I will be soon remaking my barrel for use in my platformer. The smashable crate was actually a very ornate vase, which shows off the style of my level very clearly. What is a smashable crate without a collectable? Nothing. So I made a gold coin that the player could pick up, just for fun. It also gives my players an incentive to want to go and explore through the caves, because they would be able to find all the coins(if all goes as planned at the end of the game it will tell you how many coins you got as well as how long it took you to complete the game. If all goes as planned.... or I have time)



Listening to: "Good Hip-Hop" station based on Mos Def, Wu-Tang Clan, and Del Tha Funkee Homosapien

Playing: Playtesting Platformer game

Watching: Psych

No comments:

Post a Comment