Friday, March 9, 2012

Spring Break #2: Frog/Hopper Mech

This is a quick 10 hour model I made over spring break. I was inspired by an issue of ImagineFX, on the back of their latest issue I saw an advertisement for the DAVE school of Digital Animation and Visual Effects, where it showed someones 3D model they made in 4 days time, having no prior training working from someone else's design.

This is the image I saw on the back of an ImagineFX magazine


I said to myself, "Given my 1.5 semesters worth of experience with Maya, I wonder if I could design and model something like that, in 24 Hours". So, here is the final project.

Also included in this issue of ImagineFX was a Development sheet showing the different stages of the designing process. I used this as a loose guide for my project. I started with silhouettes so that I could think about what I wanted my mech's distinct shape would be. As I was drawing, I suddenly got the idea to make it a Mecha-Frog/Hopper mech. As excited as I was to get modeling, I never actually did any concept artwork for the mech, I however had a pretty clear idea in my mind of what to make it look like. Here are the silhoettes I used as reference during the modeling process, and you can clearly see how some of my decisions here made it into my final design.

3 hours in

5 hours in

7 hours in


9 hours in

9.5. This is where, through peer critique, I decided I did like the bot better with the "knees" facing front.


10 Hours. Final Render from Maya(For now)


Here is a turntable animation I made(hastily) with Autodesk Mudbox:


Watching: Futurama
South Park

Listening: Weezer
Blackbird Blackbird

Playing: Ratchet And Clank All 4 One
Vectorman(Genesis)
Sonic 3D Blast(Genesis)
Unreal Tournament 2004(Mac)

No comments:

Post a Comment